The Spiritual Message of the London Olympics

July 26, 2012

The summer Olympics in London are set to begin in less than 24 hours! For many, it gives them a chance to root for their nation to a global audience. As someone who was born and raised in the United States, I always used to take a peek to see where the U.S. is projected to finish in the gold medal standings. The chief of sport performance for the U.S. Olympic team calls it a stretch for Americans to win the most overall and gold medals at the London Olympics. Indeed, China is projected to take home this achievement and win roughly 100 gold medals (see here).

Nowadays, however, I’m looking for the inspirational story coming out of the Olympics. I believe that the person who carries the most inspirational of stories is not a young phenom.

It has been nearly half a century since Japanese Hiroshi Hoketsu first participated in an Olympic Games. Now, aged 70, he has set his sights on the London Olympics after qualifying as part of Japan’s dressage team last week. You can read more about Mr Hoketsu here.

In truth, we have seen a Jewish person, who became inspired by water, and decided right then and there to mount his spiritual comeback, despite being just one year younger than Torres. According to Jewish tradition, there was a simple Jew who worked for Ben Kalbah Savuah, one of the richest men in all of Jerusalem. Once, while shepherding his flocks, he gazed into a pool, and noticed a hollowed-out rock resting under a waterfall. He silently contemplated how a rock, one of Nature’s most dense substances, had been hollowed out. His curiosity got the best of him, as he decided to analyze this peculiar find. After some time, he noticed that water had, over a long period, drop after drop, caused a drastic change in the appearance of the rock. This event allowed him to reach the following conclusion:

“If a rock, though extremely hard, can be hollowed out by water, how much more so should it be possible for Torah, which is compared to water (in that is vital to the nourishment of the soul), to change my heart, which is certainly softer. I will begin to study it, and try to become a Jewish Sage!”

Despite being 40 years old, the shepherd began by learning how to read the Hebrew Alphabet. Ultimately, he went to Yeshiva and devoted himself to full-time Torah study for a whopping twelve years. As the years passed, the shepherd received Rabbinic Ordination, and became known to all as the famous Rabbi Akiva. He opened his own Yeshiva, and developed a following of 24,000 students.

There is a modern day expression developed by the shoe company Nike, that directs society to seize any moment of inspiration and well…”Just Do It!” As illustrated from the above two examples, God created human beings with the innate ability of free will, which by extension sets us apart from any other creature on God’s Green Earth. The fact that we have free will should remind us all that we have the power to always climb (or swim) to achieve accomplishments that seem at the surface physically impossible. Likewise, at a spiritual level each and every Jew has the ability to ascend spiritual realms and achieve everlasting meaning in their life-even if you may think that you are too old, or simply don’t have enough skills.

So the next time you feel a wave of inspiration I have 3 words for you: Just Do It!

For more Jewish resources on the Olympics see Jews around the World: Olympics Special! Prepared by JewishInteractive.net, this page features a creative way to integrate Jewish studies into the Olympics and also provides you with the following two links:

The Munich Olympics: A Prezi accompanying a presentation by school children

Download the text that accompanies the presentation.

If you are headed to London to cheer at the Olympics, then I encourage you to heck out YeahThatsKosher’s List of Kosher Spots.

Finally, while he’s not officially an Olympian, how can I not link to the story of  the Chassidic Jew, Reb Ephraim Goldstein who carried the Olympic torch. He has worked with seven charities and runs a soup kitchen. If there’s anyone who is showing us how we can help Klal Yisrael and rekindle our united spirits during The 9 Days, we need to look no further then this young 22 year old man.

Be Sociable, Share!

Comments

22 Responses to “The Spiritual Message of the London Olympics”

1. avi bukspan on July 27th, 2012 9:49 pm

nice piece, very timely and yet timeless

2. Hermin on September 7th, 2012 6:05 am

It doesn’t seem to be widespread knowledge:
    Though, the source of the Olympics and even the modern games have a connection to pure avoda zara, starting from the flame from Mt. Olympus to the 5 rings. I don’t have the sources on hand but with little research this can be all found.

I hope that this is kept in mind when trying to derive lessons from events.

With best wishes on your blog, keep up the good work and may we speedily merit the redemption of our people with Moshiach!

3. china mould on November 30th, 2013 8:18 am

Undeniably consider that which you said. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the net the simplest factor to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed whilst other folks think about worries that they just don’t realize about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the top {as well as|and also|and} outlined out the whole thing with no need side-effects , people could take a signal. Will probably be again to get more. Thanks
    china mould http://www.wllmould.com/

4. bashbrothaz on December 2nd, 2013 8:48 am

I realize lake played I merely liked getting out to the ice, I love this online game of hockey but wasn’t competent to play because I have Cerebral Palsy and sled hockey set it up a chance to get out about the ice and play an aggressive sport and try to get the best workout.

5. seiterlawfirm.com on December 2nd, 2013 3:05 pm

The Faas 500 was really a bright red and neon green shoe and Puma does have an inclination to similar to the bright colors, and so i was actually a little apprehensive once i opened this. I was relieved to view quite a handsome looking shoe in a very dark grey and bright blue color scheme. Don’t misunderstand here. In older times, to look at was younger and faster, I’d have rocked the brilliant colors, the difference is I’m a little less attracted to attracting attention. The dark grey is performing a fantastic job at not coming to class dirt too.

6. http://www.voldenuit.net/oakley-sports-sunglasses-black-frame-multicolor-lens-p-2465.html on December 15th, 2013 5:00 am
  7. moncler barn jacka on December 17th, 2013 10:49 am

Your way of explaining the whole thing in this post is truly fastidious, all be able to easily be aware of it, Thanks a lot.

Also visit my site … moncler barn jacka

8. christian louboutin men shoes replica on December 23rd, 2013 5:11 am

He’s not totally insane since of course. Although i was initially drastically wrong. “There were definitely not less than three or more gunmen” they extended undaunted, “and Oswald has not been one of these.”The ‘truth’, for me at a minimum, offers consistently felt very obvious. I have come across a number of ladies that have kondilomi dilemma. This may be a pretty risky issue which often posts coming from intercourse. Lady will get warts at labia or maybe at the initial with genitals with the result that she has struggling to survive her life using extensive comfort and ease.
    christian louboutin men shoes replica http://www.atthepiazza.com/christian-louboutin-replica.asp

9. parajumpers kodiak masterpiece on December 26th, 2013 4:31 am

We are 20 years. With april My spouse and i not so great A pair of periods of time. I actually had 3 being pregnant trials that will when detrimental. Obama boasts selected Patricia Ann Millett in addition to Henry Leon Wilkins in order to fill up useless seating in the game. She publicised several nominations within October, not to mention alerted Congress not to ever prevent the political election for his or her selects. “There is no rationale in addition to the government to get Conservatives to stop these folks by finding some sort of up or down vote,Half inch Barack obama mentioned at that moment..
    parajumpers kodiak masterpiece http://www.hartvigconsult.dk/parajumpers-kodiak-sage.asp

10. jewelry by tiffany on February 26th, 2014 4:52 am

The Spiritual Message of the London Olympics | Rabbi Michael Green
    jewelry by tiffany http://www.popularjewels.com/925-tiffany-jewelry/jewelry-by-tiffany.html

11. Robert on May 28th, 2014 7:10 am

Hey there! I know this is kinda off topic however I’d figured I’d ask.
    Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest authoring a blog post or vice-versa?
    My blog discusses a lot of the same topics
    as yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other.

If you’re interested feel free to shoot me an email.
    I look forward to hearing from you! Superb blog by the way!

12. Junita Recidivi on November 22nd, 2014 11:46 pm

Thanks for the great post, I was hunting for details such as this, going to look into the other blog posts.

13. computer sales miami on January 19th, 2015 4:48 pm

Not only do the techs in this field require specialized training and knowledge
    regular computer and IT certifications don’t even touch, but the correct
    equipment to get your data back safely is extremely expensive.
    Some Game Stops will be able to point you in the right direction, as they
    will know who is local that can help you with that type of repair,
    so I would recommend that you check them out
    if you don’t feel comfortable trying this PS3 repair on your own. If this
    doesn’t work you could always consider contacting a service
    such as Geek Squad, They have service centers in Best Buy such as at:

14. Sang on November 30th, 2015 6:00 am

My blog post Sang

15. url on December 24th, 2015 8:06 pm

Es infinitamente mas bello dejarse enga

16. url on December 24th, 2015 8:08 pm

Es infinitamente mas bello dejarse enga

17. electric scooter on January 9th, 2016 5:25 pm

My home is Florida and convey my favorite electric scooter http://www.betterscooter.com/ perhaps up to It’s possible to. These people maintain me and my friends style during the winter and regularly Internet marketing fortuitous and additionally go individuals in your summertime clothes. making smart balance wheel http://www.betterscooter.com/ is comparable to remaining back base once more, they’ve been that will attractive! Your smart balance wheel http://www.betterscooter.com/ look good along with short, skirts, along with trousers.

18. Barry on March 10th, 2016 10:12 pm

If you want timely and expert automotive locksmith;
    Barry, professional cost services,
    trust in Amelia Lock & Element, and also offer us a phone call at
    904-261-5625.

19. Ronnie on March 19th, 2016 2:21 am

For example, if you’re doing a bench press with 2 dumbbells, you have 2 factors of failure – each arm.

Look into my web-site; ดัมเบล 3
    กิโล (Ronnie)

20. Justin Nardi on April 10th, 2016 9:10 am

Hi, regarding click-bank – do you have recommendations about improving conversions on a varied site? I own a file sharing website and as such it’s near impossible to match offers to the visitor. Many thanks

21. 正規品 TTP506-0119 2015春夏 トラック&フィールド オールウェザー/土トラック兼用:トラック種目全般 アシックス EFFORT EF 人気新作 on June 5th, 2016 12:56 pm
  22. 大人気 エバニュー メタリックボーン 格安な価格 on June 6th, 2016 1:05 am

Got something to say?

Want to schedule Rabbi Green for a talk, or Shabbaton? Got a question? Need an answer? Click here to contact Rabbi Green.

Listen to Rabbi Green's most recent podcast here.

More in Misc (2 of 113 articles)

The Shul I attended during my childhood had a greeter (see this New York Times article on how nuanced of ...